Monday, September 8, 2008

Vet Appointment

Well, the vet appointment on Saturday went well (I think).

We (went with a friend who wanted to check out the Animal Hospital) spent less than 5 minutes waiting after we checked in. Didn't have to fill out any new patient paperwork because I gave them all the information over the phone while making the appointment.

After we got into the room, we spent no more than 2 minutes waiting for the vet after the pet nurse was finished. Amazing - the shortest wait I've ever had.

When the vet got in, she explained to me the tests that she wanted to do to figure out if there was a cause other than allergies causing the itchy feet. Ran the tests and they all came back negative for yeast and mites. Unfortunately, she found a bacterial infection so Loki was put on antibiotics. Gave us a prescription for these special wipes that are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial so that we could prevent future infections.

I asked her about a cyst that we found in NC under his armpit. (The vet in NC told us to just have it checked out every once in a while). She gave me a very confused look after touching it and said that it was probably a microchip. I returned her confused look and told her that the vet in NC said that they implanted the microchip between the shoulder blades. A quick scan revealed that Loki actually has two microchips... Odd. I know I put one in, but the other one?? Pet store? Breeder? I have the numbers - one is European and one is American but I have no idea how to look up the information based on the numbers. I guess I'll have to call the vet in NC up and see if they actually put two in... although I do not remember signing the paperwork for two.

The animal hospital was actually amazing. From appointment making to actual appointment to follow up... the service was well worth the price ($60 for an office visit). I was on the phone with an emergency tech without even being put on hold when I called in this morning about antibiotic side-effects.

As for the allergies, the vet said that they had a dermatologist in-house that could help me do the testing and the de-sensitization, but he'd be on the shots for the rest of his life. By the way she said rest-of-his-life and asked me if there were any problem areas for him, I think she was just hinting that I should just keep a better look-out. Stayed with the time-old recommendation of Benedryl and sent us on our way.

Grr. Problem dog. He's lucky he's so cute and that I like him so much. The money I made from working this week covered only half the cost for this visit.

2 comments:

Dennis the Vizsla said...

When we were getting Trixie tested for her allergies the vet told us that dogs don't become desensitized to allergens the way humans do. Too bad since they seem to have so many allergies! Local raw honey and the occasional topical Benadryl spray seem to help her.

Delilah and Rocket said...

Good luck with the allergies and figuring out the micro-chip mystery. Curious as to why the vet can't help you with that.